Hebrews 12:1-2 says
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. NASB
Make sure to read verses in context. What do the verses before and after this passage say?
Questions to ponder:
- Who are the “cloud of witnesses surrounding us?” Who is watching you and the way you live?
- Is there a difference between an encumbrance and a sin?
- What is holding you down and entangling you?
- Where should our focus be?
- What gives you hope?
Here are some practical suggestions for overcoming sin and living a transformed life:
- Keep your eyes on Jesus. In the fight to “lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us,” we tend to focus on the sin. It can be like trying to run while watching your feet. Lift up your eyes and run towards the loving arms of Jesus.
- Work on your relationship with Jesus until He is real and you feel loved. That love will fill a lot of empty spaces in your soul. Temptations and struggles will feel less compared to the overwhelming, never-ending love of God.
- Ask for help. You are not alone. The support of friends is an essential part of the Christian life.
You may also like the Joint Base Lewis-McChord Navigators “Called to Character” Bible study.